Friday, July 27, 2007

Pregnancy Gingivitis: What Every Expectant Mother Should Know

On at least three separate occasions, I can remember having the privilege of breaking the news of a young woman's pregnancy from my side of the dentist's chair. I use the word "privilege" with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek, however. After all, the diagnosis was only determined because of the patient's tender, red, swollen gums. Ouch!
Talk about taking the good news with the bad . . .
Known as pregnancy gingivitis, this unpleasant condition is often assumed to be one of the natural consequences of the hormonal changes often found in pregnant women. The hormones involved, estrogen and progesterone, are secreted in progressively greater concentrations throughout most of pregnancy. While this reaction is necessary for preparing a woman's body for the journe View the rest of this article


No comments: