Friday, August 17, 2007

Putting the Personal Back In Personal Trainer

Of all places, I found my first personal trainer in my Ordinary/Partial Differential Equations class. Big Tony was the body-building math major who took all willing science nerds under his wing on the gym floor, myself included. Those of us who went to Tony did so because we realized we needed a workout routine that could balance the hours we spent sitting in front of our books. But we needed someone to show us the ropes, and it had to be someone who could make the university weight room, dubbed the bomb shelter, a comfortable space that was free of judgment. Tony was awesome. When I’d frown at my three-pound weights, which I thought were embarrassingly light, he’d simply say, “Everybody starts somewhere.” Know the two most important rules before working out View the rest of this article


No comments: